Friday, March 9, 2012

Neewa The Wonder Dog and the Ghost Hunters... The Secret of the Indian Medicine Woman is Revealed!

Chapter 26 - Spirit World
Heather speaks, “This evil devil spirit is moving like a tornado, a violently rotating column of air with the power of the wind, earth and sky. That one is a strong one and it must be stopped. I will vanquish this evil devil spirit back to the supernatural, back to its eternal pain. My battle with evil will be to the death.”
Heather reaches into her bandolier bag and throws a handful of yellow powder into the air. It blows right past us giving us a light coating.
She explains, “The powder will protect us from this devil, but we must seek sacred ground.”
Now I’m in shock and I don’t know what to say. Jackie hugs Dad and Dad embraces us as we stand shoulder to shoulder.
“Look!” the Medicine Woman exclaims. “That evil devil spirit is seeking a body and soul to possess, don’t let it be yours.”
I’m gasping for air, “It sounds like a screaming banshee and it’s headed right for us.”
“Hurry up, come into my home, it is sacred ground and the evil one cannot take you here. Quickly, quickly,” Heather implores.
We duck inside her house and go by the light of the wood stove. Heather throws blue powder into the fire. It contacts the flames and blue smoke rises up the flue. The stovepipe glows for a moment as the smoke goes up the chimney.
She yells, “Go demon, leave us evil spirit.”
Huddling together, Heather looks at each of us. “Families of those who have been taken by an evil devil spirit will not even notice a change. They will not see any physical difference in their loved one. No one will guess their body and soul have been taken.
“Evil devil spirits are amongst us, you know who they are. You have met them, someone who has become evil, a problem to the rest of us.
“Everyone who knows one will say, ’It’s not like him, he was so nice, but now he is different.’
“A friend of one who has been taken might confide, ‘I don’t know what has happened to her, she’s gone bad. I don’t know her anymore.’”
No one moves or speaks for what seems like minutes, but is only seconds.
Heather speaks, “It’s safe now, the evil one is gone.”
Silence hangs over us for a few seconds, none of us know what to do or say.
Finally Dad says, “Okay, it’s getting late guys, let’s go home. Thank you, Heather, for everything. Good to see you, Diane. Ready, Christina? Jackie? Neewa?”
“Yeah, Dad, ready,” I reply.
Neewa wags her tail and runs to my side.
“Me too, Dad, I’m ready,” Jackie adds as we file out.
Safely in our car now, questions flood my head faster than terabytes on high-speed broadband. Did that really happen? What was Heather fighting? What is an evil devil spirit?
But not one of us actually has anything to say. We just stare at the road and drive the half-mile to our home.
I ask, “Dad are you thinking what I’m thinking? Heather said that her house is sacred ground. And Diane told me at school that the tribe’s burial ground is underneath her house and that spirits visit her.”
“Yes, Christina, what about it?” Dad asks.
“We’ve found the Indian burial grounds, that’s what! Now all we have to do is figure out how to get our equipment into that house without being discovered.”
Dad cautions, “I don’t want to disrespect Heather, not to mention the entire Indian nation. Trespassing is against the law, and Whites going on an Indian reservation is dangerous. You remember what happened to those diaboo’s (non-Indians) who went fishing out at Duck Valley? They were found hanging from a tree, gutted, and their dogs too.”
“Dad, I have to film that sacred burial ground and capture a spirit on tape. There has to be a way to get our equipment in there without getting caught? But how can we? I can’t think of a way without being seen.”
“Who says that evil devil spirit is still there?” Jackie questions. “And besides I’m not going back there, that place scared the heck out of me.”
“But seriously, Dad, there’s something going on here. What about those Orbs at Doctor Cuthberson’s ranch? And how about all his artifacts? And remember Chester put that charm on Neewa and said it will protect her from evil? Chester had a strange look in his eyes when he said that. I stared back at him. Then he said laughing, ’The evil dogcatcher, that’s who.’
“He wanted to tell me something, but he couldn’t. Something about Neewa, but it’s the Indian way, he can’t possibly tell.
“And what about Heather giving us each herbs to protect us from evil? And now this dust devil possessed by an evil devil spirit chasing us. And being vanquished with colored powders thrown in the air and into a wood stove by a Medicine Woman. Something is going on and I’m going to get to the bottom of it.
“Dad, did you forget what that little girl at the Tribal History meeting said? She asked, ’Do you know Neewa has a spirit?’ And what about when Neewa flew up on the kitchen counter to eat the pumpkin pies? Neewa can fly.”
Dad replies, “You have a vivid imagination Christina, we have no real proof Neewa flew onto the counter to get those pumpkin pies.”
Giggling nervously, “I have an idea, we can put a backpack full of equipment on Neewa and mount a camera on top. I’ll send her ghost hunting into Heather’s sacred burial grounds. Neewa can film and take readings with the meters in the backpack. I can show the film on my own TV show. I’ll call it ‘Doggie Ghost Cam.’”
Laughing, “Wait, wait, I got a better name for my TV show. I’ll call it, ‘Flying Doggie Ghost Cam.’ Neewa can fly in and out of haunted houses, sacred burial grounds, boot hills and such.”
“Ha ha, good Christina, that’s one of your better jokes,” Jackie smirks.
We arrive home from Heather’s. My head is full of devil spirits, charms, stories of evil, doggie ghost cams shows and fright, all thrown together.
On my way to bed, “Neewa, you are sleeping next to me tonight.”
I jump onto my bed and pat the comforter, “Come on girl, jump, jump up.”
Dad will have to spend some money on heat. It really gets cold at night. But Neewa will keep me warm. She stretches out her long body and legs next to me as she lies on her side, keeping me warm.
“Good night, Dad, love you.”
“Good night, Christina, Jackie, love you.”
“Love you, Dad, Christina,” Jackie says.
“Good night, Neewa.”

No comments:

Post a Comment